Whoa I’ve been slacking. Sorry about that but I have some good reasons. I’m going to make a list of all the recent events that have been going on including some exciting work and wedding news!!, but first lets talk about the good stuff.. marathon training!
1. The 2014 TCS NYC Marathon will be here before you know it and I honestly cannot wait. I wish I could fast forward to November to myself crossing those bridges, running through Brooklyn, and crossing the finish line in Central Park. At the moment that all seems daunting but I know my body can get me there if I train smart. There is lots of crosstraining and strength training in my training plan, so here’s to hoping it all goes well this time. Just hoping my body doesn’t revolt!
Summer running: wear as little clothes as possible within social norms.
I am currently on week three of my training plan and so far so good. My longest run so far was 7 miles and the weather made that a tough one. I am much more of a winter-weather runner, the hot weather and I (and my asthma) don’t get along when it comes to running. But I did it and learned my lesson: from now on all long runs need to be started early in the morning to avoid heat and sun! Here’s to early mornings all summer!
7 miles. Oh yeah!
2. I have a new job! I am still working as an occupational therapist but left my role working with adults. I am now working in a school as a pediatric OT with kids pre-school age and younger. They are SO cute and I’m incredibly happy so far in my new job. It was a roller coaster getting here and transitioning but now that I’m settling in things have been going great. I love the kiddos and really enjoy my workday now!
3. I’ve been hanging out in Brooklyn most of the summer, so here’s a token Brooklyn picture from you from one of my recent runs. I love where I live. Many a run had been had recently over the Brooklyn, Manhattan and Williamsburg bridges to help prepare my legs for the marathon.
4. But one weekend early this month Karl and I ventured out from Brooklyn to upstate NY in search of the perfect wedding venue. We wanted something rustic and unique where we could host a wedding weekend and have our guests enjoy activities while they were there. Karl and I spend a good deal of time upstate skiing, hiking, seeing family, etc and we love the nature up there.
So after two days of touring and searching, we FOUND OUR WEDDING VENUE! I honestly thought it would take weeks and weeks, but the minute we pulled up to the venue (which was the last one we toured), we both looked at each other and immediately knew this was it. Its perfect for us.
Now, I hate to do this but we sent in our contract. But until its official official I don’t want to share the name of it or any more details. I’m superstitious and don’t want to jinx it until we get confirmation!! But here’s a sneak peek of the rustic venue we are super excited about…
5. While we were upstate I wanted so badly to just put my feet into a creek or some body of water. It was a big mission and it was harder than it seemed. But eventually we had dinner in Windham NY where were stayed for the overnight part of our trip and finally found the creek! There is just something about bare feet in water on a summer day.. its perfect!
Feet in the water.. finally!
I also got in a nice run upstate but boy was it super hilly. It was challenging but I always like having new scenery to run past. I loved all the wild flowers growing on the side of the road, but was so sad I couldn’t pick them because I was running. I’ll go back someday for flowers.
6. I also never wished everyone a Happy Fourth of July! Karl and I stayed in Brooklyn that night to watch the fireworks from our roof deck. It was quite a view.. the Freedom tower with tons of fireworks going off all around it in beautiful synchrony. Plus a nice bottle of wine. It was quite the event but really relaxing this year since we had nowhere to be that night. And of course I had to dress the part to celebrate.. I was waiting to wear my Under Armour American flag tank for a while!
Fourth of July from Brooklyn!
7. Karl and I have officially booked a trip in October to London and Amsterdam. Its right before the NYC Marathon because thats just what worked for us, but I’m not too worried. By then it’ll be about taper time so all should be okay. And I get to spend my birthday in London
8. That’s all my big news currently. Some big life changes, exciting events in the works, and marathon training in full swing. I think things will settle down a bit now that lots of major life events have been decided and scheduled. I’m so excited by everything that’s happening and all to come!
I also have a question for my other marathoners out there… what running shoes are your go-to for the marathon and training? Just curious!